people-2604784_1920-150x150 K1 Visa Requirements | Necessary DocumentsK1 visa requirements are a part of U.S. immigration law and information about what you need is readily available on the internet. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides free forms for various types of immigration benefits, including the K1 or fiancé visa. These forms provide instructions, which serve as a guide for anyone who is petitioning for a foreign national to immigrate to the U.S.

Who Can Petition for a Foreign Fiancé?

The first step in the K1 visa process is checking your eligibility. Only U.S. citizens can petition for a foreign bride or groom. If you are a lawful permanent resident, conditional permanent resident, or you are in the U.S. on an extended visa, you do not qualify.

In addition:

  • You must be free to marry within 90 days of your fiancé entering the U.S; and
  • You must have met your fiancé, in-person, within 2 years before you file the petition.

There are some exceptions to the in-person meeting. If you can prove that:

  • Meeting in person would violate established customs of your fiancé’s culture; or
  • You would suffer extreme hardship if you were to meeting in person.

Then, you still have a chance of success with the application, without the in-person meeting. An example of “extreme hardship” is, if you are unable to take a long flight to meet your fiancé because of a medical condition.

What Documents Do You Need to Meet the K1 Visa Requirements?

You will first need to file an I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé. The I-129F petition lets USCIS know that you are engaged to someone from a foreign country and that you intend to marry that person shortly after he/she enters the United States.

You will answer various questions on the I-129F application including, biographic details about yourself, information about your former spouse(s) and children, you and your fiancés address and employment history.  You will also have to disclose your criminal history, even if the records were sealed or expunged.

In addition to the application, you must submit the following, where applicable:

  • Filing Fee
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (eg. U.S. birth certificate, U. S. passport, or U.S. naturalization certificate);
  • Proof of termination of previous marriages (eg. divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate;
  • Evidence of legal name change;
  • Two (2) passport-style photographs (one of your fiancé and one of yourself);
  • Certified copies of arrest and conviction records;
  • Two (2) letters of intent to marry; and
  • Evidence of in-person meeting or evidence supporting an exception; ( eg. itinerary, boarding pass or medical records, if you are applying for an exception.

K1 Fiancé Visa Attorney

Cheryl Fletcher is an immigration attorney in West Palm Beach, Florida who has been helping U.S. citizens bring foreign brides and grooms to the U.S. If you would like to get in touch with Attorney,  Cheryl Fletcher , please call 561-507-5772 to get a fast consultation or fill in the contact form on the website: http://www. and we will call you right away.