couple-1030744_1920-150x150 Fiancé Visa Requirements for the ApplicationFiancé visa requirements are usually discussed by newly engaged couples either before or after the engagement. Most people already have the necessary documents in their possession or can get these documents on short notice.

Stages in the Fiancé Visa Process

There are three main stages in the process of getting a decision on your fiancé visa application. Each part is handled by a different agency of the U.S. government. The application begins with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If approved, it moves to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC, which is an arm of the Department of State (DOS)  sends the case for further processing to the appropriate U.S. consulate or embassy. Finally, the U.S. embassy/consulate conducts an interview and, if you are successful, meaning that have met all the fiancé visa requirements, you will be issued a K1 visa and you are ready to come to the U.S!

Who Can Petition for a Foreign National Fiancé?

Only U.S. citizens can petition for foreign brides or grooms. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you can still bring your loved-one to the U.S. but you will first have to get married and file the immigration petition for your spouse, rather than your fiancé.

Documents Necessary to Support Your Petition for Your Fiancé

Both the U.S. citizen and the foreign national spouse will submit documents to USCIS with the petition. This includes:

Fiancé Visa Requirements for the U.S. Citizen

  • Filing fee;
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship;
  • Proof of termination of previous marriages (if applicable);
  • Evidence of legal name change (if applicable);
  • Signed International Marriage Broker Consent Form (if applicable);
  • One (1) passport-style photograph;
  • Certified copies of arrest and conviction records (if applicable);
  • Letter of intent to marry;
  • Evidence of and in-person meeting during the 2 years immediately before filing OR evidence to support an exemption of this requirement;
  • Evidence supporting a multiple filer waiver request (if applicable); and
  • Evidence supporting a criminal offense waiver (if applicable).

Fiancé Visa Requirements for the Foreign National Beneficiary

  • Proof of termination of previous marriages (if applicable);
  • Evidence of leal name change (if applicable)
  • Letter of intent to marry;
  • One (1) passport-style photograph; and
  • Random photographs of the couple.

All documents must be in English or must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

NVC and U.S. Embassy/ Consulate Stage

It takes about 4-6 months for USCIS to make a decision on the I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé. If the petition is approved, you  will receive an approval notice from USCIS and it will send the approved petition to the NVC. The NVC then issues a case number and routes the file to the appropriate consulate. Your foreign national fiancé then applies for the visa and  submits additional documentation  to support the application. Some of these requirements are:

  • Visa application fee;
  • DS-160 visa application;
  • A copy of a visa valid for travel;
  • A copy of his/her birth certificate;
  • Divorce decrees for the couple (where applicable);
  • Police certificates;
  • Evidence of financial support;
  • Two (2) passport-style photographs;
  • Medical examination; and
  • Evidence of the relationship.

If all goes well at the interview, your betrothed will be issued a fiancé visa, which is valid for a single entry into the United States. The visa is valid for no more than 6 months.

Fiancé Visa Attorney

Cheryl Fletcher is an immigration attorney in West Palm Beach, Florida who has been helping U.S. citizens bring foreign brides and grooms to the U.S. If you would like to get in touch with Attorney,  Cheryl Fletcher , please call 561-507-5772 to get a fast consultation or fill in the contact form on the website: http://www. and we will call you right away.