Visas FAQs

Visas FAQs

What Type of Non-Immigrant Visa Do I Qualify For?

It depends on your reasons for visiting the United States. There are over 80 different types of non-immigrant visas and your unique situation will determine the best visa for you. There are visas for diplomats, government officials, visitors, airline and commercial sea vessel members, entrepreneurs, students, fashion models, college graduates, unskilled workers, fiancés, business executives, managers, athletes, entertainers, government witnesses and victims of a crime.

Depending on your visa category, your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old, may qualify for derivative visas.

Why Would I be Denied a Non-Immigrant Visa?

This is a very broad question and the answer depends on the type of visa that you have applied for, the eligibility requirements and the evidence that you submitted to prove your case. Common reasons for a visa denial are insufficient evidence, criminal history or inability to meet the eligibility requirements.

How Long Does the Visa Process Take?

The non-immigrant visa process can take a few days to several months, while a few years is normal for immigrant visas. The U.S. government considers each application on a case-by-case basis. Processing times depend on the administration’s workload and whether the visa is immediately available.

What Types of Visas are Available if I want to Come to the U.S. for a Visit or Temporary Stay?

If you wish to visit the United States temporarily or be granted entry for a very specific period of time, you will need a non-immigrant visa. The purpose of your trip will determine which visa you should apply for. If you plan to take a vacation, or visit family and friends, a B-2 visa is appropriate. If you have business undertakings, a B-1 visa may be your best option. No visa is required for citizens of the 39 countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), if a single stay will be no longer than 90 days. Canadians and Bermudians are also allowed entry, without a visa, or up to 6 months.

What Type of Visa Should I get if I want to Become a Permanent U.S. Resident?

There are a number of visas available to foreign nationals wishing to permanently immigrate to the United States. A fiancée visa is available if to foreign nationals engaged to a U.S. citizens, and upon marriage, the foreign national will be eligible for a green card. Approved family petitions for relatives of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents can result permanent resident status for beneficiary foreign nationals. A work visa for individuals who have unique skills, which make them highly sought after in a particular field or industry, can also result in a green card.

Go to Top