Yes. Owing taxes does not automatically bar you from becoming a U.S. citizen. You must demonstrate to the government that you are a person of “good moral character,” which includes filing and paying your taxes on time. You may be able to overcome the delinquency by filing late tax returns and by entering into a payment plan with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the state or the local government to which you owe taxes and making the payments on time.