In some circumstances you may be able to. A married man is presumed to be the legal father of any children that his wife has. If you are not the child’s biological father, you will have to file a Petition to Disestablish Paternity. You have a good chance of winning the case unless:

  • You legally adopted the child;
  • The child was conceived via artificial insemination using another man’s sperm, if conception occurred during the marriage;
  • You got married the child’s mother and assumed parental responsibility;
  • You signed an acknowledgement of paternity or consented to your name being listed on the birth certificate;
  • You voluntarily, and in writing, agreed to support the child, or;
  • You failed to submit to a paternity test as requested by a government agency.