It is not uncommon for married couples to experience difficulties while the immigration process is incomplete. Once the petition is withdrawn, it is ultimately denied and there is no way to reinstate that specific application. Even if the couple reconciles, an entirely new immigrant visa petition with the appropriate fee must be filed.

Frequently, spousal abuse in the marriage is the reason for withdrawal of an immigrant petition. If this is your situation, it is urgent for you to secure your safety by reaching out to organizations like the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).

Once you are in a safe location and have received medical treatment (if needed), the next step is to contact an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts surrounding your situation and advise you of your options.

A battered spouse, child or parent, may file an immigrant visa petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Both males and females are eligible.

The options for a foreign spouse who did not experience abuse or extreme cruelty are limited.